Marathon Training, Healthy Eating and My Photography!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back!!!

There hasn't been anything too interesting going on these past few weeks and I just changed work schedules so I took a mini break. But I'm back! With a bunch of snacks I founds and some good post run rituals.

Last Sunday I had a 12 miler, and it went great! Definitely better than my half the weekend before. Tuesday I had a 4 mile run and I ran it 6 minutes faster than my last 4 mile run! AHHH!!! I was so happy, that proves it really is the humidity and weather that's been holding me back since it there like no humidity and kind of chilly that day. But since I was pushing it a little the knee pain was creeping in. So I've been trying to keep myself to a post run routine to keep the legs and feet happy.
First! I'll Ice my knee, 10-15 mins on the inside, top, then underneath.
Second! Stretch! I'll do all the basic calf, quad, hamstring, etc stretches
Third! Foam Roll! I whip out that foam torture device and hit my quads, calves, and IT band.
Fourth! Roll my Arch out. I'll use a tennis ball or baseball and stick it under my arch and roll it back and forth with pressure. This helps prevent and treat Plantar Facsilitis.
Fifth! Ice my arch. I freeze a plastic water bottle then while sitting I'll stick it under my arch to help with any arch pain that might be creeping in.
Sixth! Hip strengthening. To help with my nagging knee pain I found a quick routine on RunnersWorld. Basically, its single leg raises, 10 with the leg straight, then turned in, then turned out.

I've also been trying out something before my run for my knee, heating a gel pack for my knee. I read it helps loosen and warm up the muscles.

This past Sunday I had a draw back week, so I only ran 10 miles but man... they were slllooowww. Which is fine, I had my PT test today!!! So I didn't want to completely kill my legs... I've been freaking out about this test for a while. I'm always scared some freak thing will happen like my legs will just give out or something, and my pushups are terrible. BUT I PASSED!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!! No more sit ups or a push ups for a while :D ALSO I ran my fastest mile and a half in a couple years. 13:25! For a celebratory lunch James and I went to Jason's Deli and I had a little bowl of ice cream after lunch.

Speaking of food, I've got a few snacks I wanted I discovered that I really wanted to share. Last weekend I took a trip to Trader Joes (one of the best stores in the world) and picked up: Almond butter, Coconut oil, and rolled oat fiber bars.
Almond butter: Contains monounsaturated fat which lowers cholesteral, helps lower blood pressure, controls blood sugar levels, and is also high in protein and fiber. It definitely beats out peanut butter!
Coconut oil: Originally known as a bad guy in the food world for having saturated fat, its starting to getting a name as a health food.  It helps with: maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, high blood pressure, bone strength and more. It can also be used for tons of different things like lotion, hair, lip balm, and skin problems. Its amazing on bread, in smoothies, and to cook with.
Roller oat fiber bars: SUPER TASTY!! I love Fiberone bars, I could eat a whole box of them. But these have almost half the sugar of FiberOne bars and contain 9 grams of fiber, they're also pretty cheap.

A couple other food products I wanted to share are Amy's Organic Burritos, Kashi Thin Crust Pizzas, Spelt Bread and Flat Out Whole Wheat Wraps.
Amy's Organic Burritos: Way better than those nasty fatty frozen burritos from 7/11 and contains 7 grams of fiber and 11grams of protein! Fills you up for a while.
Kashi Thin Crust Pizzas: Overall a healthier pizza choice if you need a pizza fix!
Spelt Bread: Contains more protein than wheat, has lots of B vitamins, fiber, less glucose than regular bread and is easily digested. It has a nutty chewy taste compared to regular bread and is AMAZING with coconut oil.  
Flat Out Whole Wheat Wraps: Big wraps and only 90 Calories! Lots of fiber too. Great for making pizzas! Throw on some marinara sauce, low fat cheese, spinach, other veggies, and chicken or turkey then bake it in the oven!

I wont be away for too long again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment