Marathon Training, Healthy Eating and My Photography!

Monday, August 13, 2012

Oatmeal raisin cookies & Funfetti Cake dip!!

 So thanks to Pinterest I made some Funfetti Cake dip... NOMNOM, it's basically eating cake batter. Here's the website I got it from but it's super simple, only 3 ingredients: 
*Box of Funfetti cake mix
*2 cups fat-free plain yogurt (I used greek yogurt instead)
*1 cup lite Cool Whip (I used the fat free one)
Then just mix it allllll up. I also used Teddygrams to dip but you could use animal cookies, nilla waffers, etc. Again it's only 105 calories per 1/4 cup serving

Also from one of my favorite blogs I made her breakfast Oatmeal Rasin Cookies. Super easy and quick!
Here's the origional recipe! But I'll give the quick break down of it:
*1/4 cup liquid egg whites      *1Tbsp chia seeds
*1/4 cup rolled oats                 *1/2 tsp Vanilla
*1/2 banana mashed                *1/2 tsp Cinnamon
*1/4 tsp baking powder             *2 Tbsp raisins
Mix it all up in a small microwaveable bowl, then microwave it for 1 min and 30 secs. Then you can plop it out of the bowl onto a plate or eat it out of the bowl. I made this 3 times this week!
So for another healthy desert I tried (tried being the key word) to make snickerdoodle blondie brownies made with chickpeas... blehhhh Here's the website if you would want to try it, but now I have the pan of it sitting in my fridge, that will probably be there for a couple weeks. It was just too
 dry, and didn't taste like anything I'd want to try again.


The past few days James and I have been exhausted after work with out much time to cook dinner so we went out a couple times. In town we have a restaurant called Jason's Deli, DELISH! They have a huge unlimited salad bar, healthy sandwiches, lots of soups and other salads. This time I got the taco salad with chicken chili, blue corn chips, and guacamole. Lots of healthy fats, protein, and carbs. I nixed the sour cream and scrapped off as much cheese as I could to make it healthier. One of the days we got chinese take out. I know, first thought is fried stuff covered in sauce with some more greasy oily stuff. But the place we go to has a whole healthy section with steamed choices. So I got steamed chicken and veggies with rice.

Running Stuff!
I'm addicted to Runnersworld.com and their forums, so while feeding my habbit I came across some useful things I thought I'd share:
I mentioned earlier that my running pace has been getting slower and recently my legs just haven't been wanting to work. SO DEPRESSING!! Especially after taking a few days off of running, but on the forums I read about people having similar problems and a lot of responses were talking about heat and humidity having a huge impact on pace. So here's a quick trick to seeing how hard you should push yourself or if you shouldn't even be thinking about pace.
Temperature + Dew Point
Below 100: Ideal
100-120: Not ideal, but ok to go for a fast time
120-130: Ok for fast pace in races up to 10K - adjust for slower pace in longer races
130-150: Adjust for slower pace in all race distances, especially longer races
Above 150: Forget pace - just focus on finishing
Just about everyday is way over 150 for where I am, so WHEW! It's not mainly my fault!
I've also been doing research on fitting in beneficial strength work outs for running, but there's so many different things online. Of course runners world had the easiest to understand with lots of good reviews. It consists of:
*12-15 Reverse Lunges per leg              *12-15 single leg raises
*6 Single Leg Box Jumps per leg           *5-8 Planks while raising a leg for 2 seconds
*12-15 Y squats
It's all only about 7 minutes and its a warmup and strenth workout all in one!! Here's the link for instructions and more information.
I Have also found my new love...  a FOAM ROLLER!! These things are amazing for recover, sore muscles, and injuries. I found an infograph explaining all the main exercises and different kinds of rollers. They can get pretty expensive, but I found one at Walmart for $14.00 so I snatched that one. I use it everyday for my quads, hamstrings, calves, and ITB. It gets pretty painful using it but after you feel like a new person.

Yesterday I had to run on the treadmill since it was pouring with lightning and thunder. After I was done I ran back to my car and in slow motion I saw myself step in this huge puddle right next to my car. DOH! I was excited to wear my new shoes for tomorrow and now they were completely drenched. I was going to use a trick I read on Runners World for drying out shoes, but I didn't have the main component... newspaper. Runners World says to take out your inserts and then stuff your shoes with newspaper until they're dry. I used towels instead and the next morning they were dry! So today I had a 9 miler, my main goal was to finish and not feel miserable. Mission completed!! I finished feeling great and not like I wanted to quit miles back. I did my post run commissary walk around picked up lots of groceries including chocolate milk, which is the best post run recovery meal ever! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment